DSU is committed to the success of our students. We strongly feel that it is our obligation to help students achieve their educational goals, while enjoying a rich and rewarding college experience. This commitment is demonstrated through strong collaboration between cutting-edge in-class learning and academically purposeful out-of-class experiences.
DSU’s Student Success Committee is responsible for the coordination of the campus-wide student success efforts. The committee consists of the champions of each of the new student success projects, the President, the college deans, the director and assistant director of institutional effectiveness plus faculty and student representatives. The vice presidents of student affairs and academic affairs chair this new committee. The Committee’s responsibilities include:
- Implement and evaluate the university’s student success plans
- Collaborate with the Institutional Effectiveness Committee to ensure the colleges and functional units’ student success plans are incorporated into the campus-wide efforts related to student success
- Evaluate data to monitor student success activities and support institutional improvement
- Ensure that the campus is informed of all student success activities
To support student success, the university developed a comprehensive student success plan which incorporates several new initiatives launched in Fall 2012 in addition to well established programs that support all students.
Student Success Initiatives
- New Student Orientation
- Freshman Year Residential Experience (FYRE)
- GS 100- University Experience Course
- Academic Advising
- Honors / Enrichment Programs
- Supplemental Instruction
- Tutoring (on campus and online)